Saturday, March 10, 2007


Basically I'm speechless right now. I just got back from the aforementioned show. Four guys 4 guitars (ok there were 2 harmonicas).

They sat in alphabetical order by 1st name and by last name, I had just figured that out when Lyle brought it up. Lyle was the guy who tried to keep conversation rolling, but in the end everyone just wanted to play and we wanted to listen. They each took turns doing a song, sometimes, Joe Ely or Hiatt would join in on lead guitar. They sometimes backed each other up on vocals, the highlight of which was during "My Baby Don't Tolerate".

Songs I need to investigate:
If my Chihuahua could sing--Joe Ely
Randall Knife--Guy Clark
Parking Lot--Guy Clark

Ok it was great, I'm really tired, and government is stealing an hour from me tonight, so I'm off to sleep.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed the Lovett, Hiatt, Ely, and Clark concert! I saw those guys here in Fort Worth several years ago, and have been tracking the current tour though Google Alerts. That's how your blog came up.
The Randall Knife is on Guy Clark's Dublin Blues CD, and Out in the Parking Lot is on his latest, called Workbench Songs. I don't remember which CD Joe Ely originally put the song about teaching his dog to sing on, but I'm pretty sure you can find it on just about any "Best Of" collection.
By the way, if you liked Joe, check out the Flatlanders, a legendary group here in Texas. Joe was one of the founding members back in the early 1970s, along with his then-unknown, but now deeply-revered-in-Texas friends Butch Hancock and Jimmie Dale Gilmore. Talk about great songwriting!
GSN

learngirl said...

Hi C,

Well I never thought you would be into Joe Ely! Check out his song Crawdaddy; one of my favorites. I saw Joe several times at the Backstage in Ballard. Also, to the previous comment I add Dave Alvin.
LAS